the love of a brother

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bye bye, Boompa







Two weeks ago Boompa died at the age of 65. He courageously battled the progression of ALS for over 3 years. He laughed and smiled, joked and kissed through his final days. Mommy prayed you'd get a chance to meet each other. He hugged you & welcomed you home in February and was able to celebrate your 2nd birthday at his home over 4 months later.

At the visitation and funeral, I told you Boompa went "bye bye". I'm glad I have pictures of you with him to share, and I look forward to sharing many wonderful stories. As I stood outside the church holding you after his funeral service, I watched Boompa's casket get loaded into the hearse. I couldn't begin to grasp how big a loss he will be from our lives. At the same moment, you raised your little hand, waved at the coffin, and said "bye, boompa".

God has a plan, no question. Our family is changed and blessed in ways we never could've imagined. I watch you with your daddy and realize you are forming the same bond I was blessed to have with mine. You also will probably always be daddy's little grill, Blenny. And, believe me, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment