the love of a brother

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

One world, One Heart, & Hair



I'm(Wendy, which will be made clear soon)so proud to announce I 'did' Blen's hair today! Did as in 2" twists extending from her scalp. My goal was the seven sections ended to look like a crown of hair (kinda like she had a headband on, but of little ponies instead) all thanks to my girlfriend Kristie-proud mama of Ethiopian beauty, Tarikua(TARR-Rea-Kwa), who shared a utube link to African hiarstyling. btw, Blen does NOT thank Kristie.
Many African American women have threatened our lives if we destroy Blen's hair. Apparently Shiloh?, Brangelina's African dtr, has hair that is dried & fried, I'm starting to appreciate the complexity of this hair, so foreign to mine.

My dad currently has home health aides as well as Hospice nurses that visit daily. All are amazing African American women with hearts and humor that brighten his day. My mother has inquired to each of hair tips, and guidance. It's great we women can all universally bond over this. That brings us to the picture you see with this post. I was visiting my parents(as was my Aunt & Uncle from Colorado) when Grace, a gorgeous Hospice nurse full of smiles and open arms, arrived to help my dad. She saw Blen and exclaimed, "Oh looky here, you're doin good, momma, her hair looks just right". I had an African American woman in an store specializing in various hair care products once tell me, "honey, y'all think greasy hair is a bad thing, when our hair looks greasy, it means it's healthy and we're doing something right!" So, this compliment from Grace was outstanding. I mentioned to her I was mainly putting a barette or two in the sides of her hair for now since it was too short for much else. She immediately said, "well, let's see". We spent the next 20min putting microscopic ponies in Blen's hair, stopping only b/c I ran out of everything I had; the little rubberbands, then barrettes, then clips. Blen cried so hard John woke from his post work-weekend slumber and thought she was in need of medical attention, which, ironically, Grace could've gived. Instead, she said, "don't worry, she'll cry, but you keep it up 'cause you don't want her to get tender-headed". Really? Isn't that a nice way of saying, "she needs to learn how to suck it up"?

During our styling/Blen's tirade, my Uncle Ken took video. Hours later, after Grace had left and shared her hairstyling expertise, he said, "that was so wonderful to see. I couldn't have imagined two women from such different backgrounds sharing such a wonderful thing. I hope soon, my reaction will be unheard of, that race, culture, won't matter, it will be natural to everyone to interact like that and share simple, basic, moments like that". I learned awhile back my great uncle was racist, I never heard any of that firsthand, but what a long way my family has come.

So, today, Blen screamed and writhed in my torturous grip. I eventually strapped he into the highchair. Early on she began pleading for daddy, who was running errands. Even fruit snacks didn't distract her. After ~45min and re-doing each small twisting 'braid' at least 3x,we were done. Immediately, she reached to hug me and wouldn't losen her grip(maybe hoping to prevent any more attention to her hair). I called my mom to share my amazing accomplishment. Five minutes into our conversation, Blen had fallen fast asleep. This was shortly after 11am, she doesn't usually nap until ~2pm. It's safe to say we were both exhausted.

Well, I'd better go wash my hair 'cause it is getting greasy after nearly two days. Then today I need to buy more product for Blen's hair since it's not greasy enough most days. It's comforting to know, in this crazy world, women can always bond over hair.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, what a great post! Blen looks so beautiful (as always, but her hair looks great)!

    Thank you so much for sharing this with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with Blen's hair Wendy-she looks lovely. I, for the record, never got used to how hard people were on my hair. Nardos

    ReplyDelete